Sunday, November 8, 2015

Lift Up Your Hands (When You Can't)

One thing that I've written, read, and spoken about on many occasions are the hidden battles everyone faces.  The fact that each of us has our own craziness going on in our lives yet we still show up each and every day ready to give everything we have for these kids.

It's hard and it can become exhausting.  Especially if you're trying to do it on your own and you're not leaning on those around you.

One thing I personally lean on is my faith.  I know not everyone believes what I believe, and that's the great thing about living in this country we live in, that we can all choose to believe what we wish.

But yesterday while driving to Houston, I heard this new song by one of my favorite singer/songwriters, Mark Shultz.  It's called "Lift Up Your Hands (When You Can't".  You can see a little of the lyrics below (as well as the entire song embedded in this post).  Here's a few....

"Well I know that your heart is past broken
and it feels like you've got nothing left
and you can't find your song cause you can't even speak
you're just tying to take the next breath
and you find yourself here in this moment
we have all gathered to praise
and though you wish that you did, you got nothing to give
it's enough that you're here anyway

so let me stand up and sing of His goodness
let me lift up a song in your place
cause i know that He'll always be with us
even when we can't see His face
I'm gonna sing to the one who is faithful
though the battle is not over yet
and I'll be your voice til your able
and I'll lift up your hands when you can't."



When I heard this song I immediately thought of you guys.  As the captain of this ship, it's my job to look after you.  To help you.  To lift up your hands when you can't.  I take that job very personally and know that I have a lot to learn and a lot of growing to do to be great at it, but I'm trying.

I wanted the intro to the blog post this week to be one where you know that at any point, when you need to cry, to vent, to seek out help, all of us in that front office are there to do just that. We want ALL of us to succeed, and if one person has fallen overboard then we haven't done our job.

So please don't ever be afraid to see us out.  Cause we're here to lift up your hands when you can't.

Crash Course

We have the final two chapters to read this week, in preparation for Kim Bearden being at Webb on Monday the 16th!  The book talk this week will be on TUESDAY at 3:45pm.

NOMINATIONS FOR DINNER WITH KIM ARE DUE BY EMAIL TO ME ON TUESDAY!!!

Team Planning

For TP this week you'll need to bring your data binders, before/after school tutoring plans, and one station to share with the team.

Monday - 5th Grade
Tuesday - 4th Grade
Wednesday - Veteran's Day Program
Thursday - Kinder; 3rd Grade from 3:30-4:15pm
Friday - 1st Grade

Important Things This Week

I will not be approving any absences for Monday or Wednesday as we already have people out for PD.

Tuesday - Ident-A-Kid will be on campus.  That doesn't affect any of your planning I just want you to be aware
Math Vertical Meeting at 3:15pm
Wednesday - Veteran's Day Program - 7:45am in Cafeteria (just like PTO fundraiser)
Kinder will leave cafeteria at 7:35am to prepare for Field Trip
Thursday - Nesloney will be out. 
Friday - Nesloney will be out.
PreK Field Trip (Garrett will be attending)

Lesson Plans

Lesson Plans are due through Thanksgiving

Blogs/Articles






Rockstar Educators

Anna Wilkerson - Anna is a 4th grade Math/Science teacher here.  She's very quiet, but does a great job in her classroom and comes with a wealth of knowledge.  I've watched her grow and bloom so quickly with her students and she takes advice hungrily!  Plus this weekend I got to see her in action at the Houston Zoo (where she used to work) and could see her love of people and animals shine even brighter.  We caught a big winner with this one and I really encourage you to get to know her!

Jeanette Enriquez - Jeanette works in our front office with Annie.  I don't know what we would do without her.  She's always got a smile on her face and willing does anything asked of her, but even more importantly she does it WELL!  Jeanette feel into our laps through a series of circumstances, but we are so glad that she did!  If you haven't told Jeanette how much she means to you, do it this week!

Birthdays

Melinda Colin - Saturday, November 14


We are in the midst of the month of thankfulness.  Make sure those around you, including your families, know how thankful you are for them.  Find little ways to celebrate them and remind them.

Maura Pavlock sent me this video this week, and I absolutely loved it and knew it'd be the perfect way to end this week's post.  Let's make it another amazing week!




Students with learning disabilities give their teachers some heartfelt advice. (Via Brain Highways)
Posted by Upworthy on Wednesday, November 4, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment