Sunday, September 17, 2017

The Only One

We know how important our jobs are. We know we show up every day ready to not only educate our kids but also to spend time helping them see the greatness in themselves.  Sometimes though we're hit with the unexpected.  We're hit with things they don't teach you about in college.  Those things that the "outside world" of people who aren't in education don't understand about the work we do.  The "heart" work.

Wednesday I had one of those reminders.  I had one of those heartbreaking moments that so often happens with us educators.

I was doing Kindergarten lunch duty and I had a little girl (who I worked with a lot when she was in PreK) stop me. She said, "Mr. Nesloney, my daddy left a few months ago, and he didn't come back. Do you think he's going to come back to my house? Do you think he wants to see me anymore?"

In that simple moment, I must admit, it took everything in me not to break down on the spot. Just to watch the raw, open, honesty in that little girl's voice. She wasn't crying, she wasn't upset, she just asked so matter-of-fact.

It was a glaring reminder of how important we are in every child's life. Yes it is our job to educate these children and teach them their learning standards at a level of depth and complexity, but the heart of an elementary child is just as important. And how we might be that one person they need to see who won't walk out on them. Who won't leave them. Who won't "not come back".

So I did what any caring adult would do, I gave her a hug and I told her "I bet he loves you very much and you know what? He'd be crazy not to come back and see you, because I am so glad I get to see you every day". And I loved when she looked back at me and said "I'm glad I get to come here every day too".

We have to be love. There's so much hurt already.

Week at a Glance

Monday - F&P Testing Officially Begins
Constitution Ladies (5th Grade only, at their Camp)
Staff Meeting/Book Discussion (pages 24-43) - 3:45-4:45pm
School Board Meeting - 6:30pm
Tuesday - Argueta and Short Out (CPI Training)
Principals Mtg - 9am-12pm
Wednesday - Argueta and Short Out (CPI Training)
MAP Testing Begins (Hopefully!!)
Math Vertical Meeting - 3:30pm - Library
Thursday - Nesloney Out (closing on my home!)
Friday - Nesloney Out (An event in Prosper, TX and Moving!)
PTO Fundraiser Kick Off (Prek-2nd) - 1:30pm - GYM
PTO Fundraiser Kick Off (3rd-5th) - 2:30pm - GYM
Saturday - Staff Goat Yoga

F&P and MAP Testing

Last week we completed all of our K-2 Istation Testing! This week we are working on F&P for 1st-5th and Wednesday (yes, that's the new start date) we'll HOPEFULLY be beginning our MAP Testing.

As always, I am so appreciative of how patient and supportive you guys are to these changes.  There are some things that are just out of our control, yet THIS team keeps rolling with the punches and rocking it out. I know it's stressful, I know it isn't always easy, but I am so thankful you keep it all with a smile on your face.

Their a call with the MAP people on Monday to finalize everything. We'll get everything set up and hopefully be ready to go on Wednesday.  I will update you DAILY with progress.

Book Discussion

Until the last week, this is the only week we'll all be studying Disrupting Thinking together.  Please have pages 24-43 read and be ready to discuss.  This is OUR staff Book Study, so please make the 20 minutes to read these couple of pages.

Argueta and Short Out

Argueta and Short will be out Tuesday and Wednesday at CPI training. If you need anything during the day please reach me on Voxer or get a hold of Jackson or Thomas. I will be out Tuesday from 9am-12pm for a Principals' Meeting as well.

Nesloney Out

I will be out Thursday and Friday! Liz and I are buying a new home and closing and moving those days (as well as I'll be in Prosper briefly for an event). I've had SEVERAL of you ask about us moving, and just so you know we're only moving about 2 miles up the road from where we currently live.  No we aren't planning on leaving Webb and no we aren't pregnant at this time.  haha.  We just needed a bigger space. I will be available via Voxer and Text both of those days so let me know if you need anything.

PTO Fundraiser Kick Off

Our annual PTO Fundraiser kick off is this Friday.  Times are listed above. Please help with crowd control during this time.  Please try to sit with your students, instead of along the wall, to help with management.

Birthdays

Thursday, September 21 - Alex Cowden

TP Time

This week for TP Time we will be using the TEKS Deconstruction Tool (you can find it HERE).  Please remember to come prepared with the TEKS Deconstruction tool completed and a lesson ready to show and discuss.

Morning Duty

When it is your TP time it is important to have assigned staff at duty BY 7:15am. Not "around" 7:15am.  We also need help in the mornings with Car Rider Duty.  So for this week, the following grades in addition to who normally does it (when it's your assigned TP day) will be out on Car rider duty.  You need to open doors, and spread out along the sidewalk. 
Monday - Kinder
Tuesday - 3rd
Wednesday - Kinder
Thursday - 3rd

Friday

On Friday we will need all 3rd-5th Grade teachers helping with morning duty until 7:35am please.  5th Grade will be on car rider duty this morning.

Outdoor Classroom

Please continue finding ways to take your students OUTSIDE to learn and utilizing our outdoor classroom.

Student Forms

Please make sure you have filled out THIS form so the administration can work with you on getting forms back from those families.

Kids Deserve It

Here is this past week's episode with Tom Murray


Blogs/Articles





Delayed Gratification (by our very own Cassie Reynolds)

In Closing...

As I started this post with, we all know there is hurting all around us. And in some of our own lives.  We have staff members who are dealing with losing a loved one, another miscarraige, a crumbling marriage, wondering how they're going to pay the bills, losing their only source of transportation, and so much more.  These are actual conversations I've had with members of our staff over the last two weeks.  Life is filled with sorrow, pain, and struggle.  But what it's also filled with is Hope.  And sometimes, I believe, that WE have to be that hope for others around us.  So this week I encourage you to slow down a little and take the time to talk to those around you, and actually listen.  Take time to show a smile, give a huge, or lend out a helping hand.  Everyone has something under the surface.


No comments:

Post a Comment