Sunday, February 4, 2018

Reading Changes Lives

Again and again, this year especially, we've talked about the wonderful power that lies within books. That they're more than just words on the page.  For some of us, we've still yet to find that book that helps us believe that reading is truly transformative.  Over the last two years, I've spent many days and had many conversations with thought-leaders in the field about this.  I was a voracious reader from the 5th grade (because of the Animorphs book series) until I was in college.  But then it died out a little. I lost my spark.  Recently though it's been reignited and I can't stop. 

My best friend, Travis Crowder, just wrote a gorgeous blog post for Ethical ELA called "I Read for Me, I Read for My Students" and it is a beautiful reminder of the power that lies in books.  I encourage you to check it out.

Over the last few months, as I've read books like "I'm Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter", "Far from the Tree", "Ghost Boys", "One of Us is Lying", "Dancing Home", "The Sun is Also a Star", "Dear Martin", "The 57 Bus", and so many others, I've been deeply reminded about the power in books.  About the empathy that can be built. When I've read about characters from different religions, ethnicities, sexual orientation, abusive homes, foster care/adoptions, runaways, deportation, brutality, and so much more, I not only feel my eyes more opened to the world around me, but I feel my heart opened to those who are different than I am.

Today I encourage you to pick up a new book.  A book that might challenge some of what you think you know about someone (or a group of people).  Not a professional development book, no.  But a book with rich characters, diverse stories, and a challenging idea.

You might just find that it helps you connect with your students (and others you meet) unlike ever before. 

(and if you need help finding the right book, let me know! I'd love to sit and book talk some books with you!)

Week at a Glance

Monday - Start of Counselor's Week (let's celebrate our awesome counselors!)
All classes go to PE
Wednesday - Nesloney off Campus
Social Studies Vertical Meeting - 3:30pm - TP Room
Thursday -  Google Expedition Day for 3rd-5th
PTO Fall Fundraiser Party Bus Day
Friday - Nesloney off Campus at Region 6 Principal Training

Birthdays

Brittney Taylor - February 5th
Lauren Musick - February 9th
Geralyn Jackson - February 11th

Boosterthon

What a great job everyone did at Boosterthon! Please remind students to start collecting AND that they can still get new donations through this week!!

TP Time

This week in TP Time Jennifer will continue discussing small group work, stations, and Guided Math/Reading.  Bring resources to share!

Car Rider Morning Duty

Monday - Kinder
Tuesday - 5th Grade
Wednesday - Kinder
Thursday - 5th
Friday - 4th (outside) and 2nd (inside)

Classroom Champions Chat

Please make sure you've signed up HERE for the Classroom Champions Chat (even if you're not planning on participating, please sign up)

Blogs/Articles

Love Projects: 3rd Grade Selfies (WOW This would be GREAT to do with our students)




In Closing...

If you're not book talking books at least 2-3 times a week to your students (and allowing them to do the same) you're so missing out on sharing great stories with your kids.  If you're not sure where to begin, or how to do a book talk, let me know! I would love to come into your class and book-talk 10-15 books to share with your students to get them hooked.  Reading is what changes lives.  Reading is what gives us an escape, new friends, fantastical voyages, and so much more.  And when we help someone find a love for reading, we not only change their lives, but also the other lives they come in contact with.

Matt de la Pena shared a special read-aloud of his new book "Love" for World Read Aloud Day. If you'd like to share with your students.



No comments:

Post a Comment